Do you want to create hard disk partition in Windows 7? Or you want to create hard disk partition in Windows 8? Don’t worry you’ve just landed on the right page. Most people don’t know how to create hard disk partition and right now I’m going to show you how to do it.
I suppose, you’ve brought a brand new laptop with Windows 8 (or you own a laptop with Windows 7) in it. But now you see only one hard disk partition of 500GB or 1TB (depending on hard disk drive you chose). But you want more hard disk partition, so as to save your important files in one partition, music, videos and movies in one partition and games in another partition.
Am I right?
Now what most people do is call a computer technician, who charges them money for something that can be done for free (by you). And since I am a computer technician and creating hard disk partition is a very simple job. I’ll tell you how to do it (with screenshots).
Follow the steps given below.
The operating system I’m using is Windows 8. To create a hard disk partition in Windows 7, the processes in 100% similar.
So shall we start?
Create a Hard Disk Partition in Windows 7 and Windows 8
- Right click on My Computer icon and select Manage. If you don’t see My Computer icon on your desktop then click here to learn how to do it.
- After clicking on Manage, Computer Management Window will open. On the left pane of Computer Managemen‘ Window you’ll see several options. Locate the Storage option and under it select Disk Management.
- Now inside Disk Management, you can see a huge chunk of 452 GB of single hard disk partition. While the other partition you see are reserved and do not touch them. Refer screenshot below to get an overview.
- Now right-click on the C: Drive of size 452GB (partition size on your computer can be slightly different) and click on Shrink Volume.
- This step is most important. So read carefully. After clicking on Shrink Volume you’ll get a window as shown below.Do not change any parameters and click on Shrink. This will create some size of unallocated space. In my case the unallocated space is 211GB, whereas for yours PC it might be different. Now I want to create two 100GB partition. See the screenshot and read on more.
- Since I want to create two new hard disk partition, I’ll right-click on Unallocated Space and click on New Simple Volume.
- Now once you click on New Simple Volume, click Next and select your hard disk partition size and drive letter, click Next and a new hard disk partition will be created.
- Now that new drive is created. You can do the same procedure to create other hard disk partition.
Do It Yourself
If you ever face ‘Disk is write protected’ error, do not panic. There is a great article on the things you can do yourself to avoid this error on your pendrive or external drive. After reading make sure you share it too. Thank You.
Remove ‘Disk is Write Protected’ Error
Being a computer technician I’ve tried to make the trick to create hard disk partition as simple as possible. But when you create hard disk partition in Windows 7 and Windows 8 there are several things to keep in mind.
- Before you create hard disk partition, make sure you remove your data from C: drive.
- Make sure the minimum partition space for C: should be around 64GB for 500GB hard disk and 120GB for 1TB hard disk.
- Never ever touch the reserved partition. You may end up damaging your operating system or hard disk
- Do not leave any unallocated space on your hard disk. Suppose you have 112GB unallocated space and you only want to create a 100GB hard disk partition, then create hard disk partition of complete 112GB. DO NOT LEAVE SPACE UNALLOCATED.
- If you are still not confident to create hard disk partition. Then ask some expert or leave a comment in the comments section. I’ll be happy to do it for you for free.
I hope the trick was very simple and understandable. If you still have doubts (or appreciation), please do a message below. And do not forget to pay my price for telling you this trick i.e. share it.